1. Open Netscape Navigator application.
2. Type the following URL into the Location box into the
SETTING UP AN ACCOUNT
3. Click on the hotlink "Set up a free account," which is in
blue and is underlined. This will bring you to a new screen.
4. Supply the information requested. Use your full name
without spaces (for example: blairwinchproject) and for a password, use
5. Click on the button "REGISTER."
6. At the next screen, click on "Biology Workbench,"
which should be blue and underlined.
STARTING A NEW SESSION
7. Scroll down and click on the button called "Session Tools."
1. At the next screen, click on the title screen where
it says "Click here to toggle between menus and buttons." This
will make all the tools show up as buttons.
2. Click on the button labeled "NEW."
3. At the next screen, name the session " Maria's
Travels" in the white box to the right of the words "Session
4. Click on the button "Start New Session".
If you have done this correctly, you will see the name of your session
under the column starting with "Default Session".
UPLOADING PROTEIN SEQUENCES
5. Click on the button "Protein Tools"
6. Scroll down and click on the button "ADD"
7. Click on the "RUN" button.
8. Click "BROWSE" button.
9. Retrieve protein variants from the desktop in a file
called "Protein Sequence Variants".
Protein Sequence Variants
Normal Hb beta chain protein
Maria's Hb beta chain protein
Thalassemia beta Hb protein
Gorilla Hb beta chain protein
10. Click on the "Upload File" button.
11. At this point, you will be able to see the sequences
on your screen.
12. IMPORTANT!!!! Click the "SAVE" button at
the top or the bottom of the screen.
ALIGNING SELECTED SEQUENCES
13. Click on 4 hemoglobin beta chain protien sequences
to activate them. Be sure that a small checkmark is in the box to the left
of all the sequences that you will want to analyze.
14. Click on the "CLUSTALW" button.
15. Click the "RUN" button.
16. On the next screen, click the "SUBMIT" button.
17. On the next screen go to "Import Allignments"
and then click on "CLUSTALW-Protein " box.
18. Scroll down and highlight "BOXSHADE" and
press "RUN". On the next screen go to "Residue Numbering"
and select ruler. Press "SUBMIT". This will allow you to see
differences in sequence by the highlighting in colors.
19. Go to the "File" menu and print your group's
sequence alignment. Write your names on the printout
20. Now scan the sequences that you have just printed.
Complete multiple comparisons of the amino acid sequences
to answer some of the questions your group has posed: